Jun 21, 2013
Have your work seen, judged, and promoted by industry professionals
PHOTOGRAPHY PRIZE AND FILM PRIZE
Two categories: 13-15 years and 16-19 years
4 GRAND PRIZE WINNERS. £100 (13-15) AND £300 (16-19). FORTY RUNNERS UP. YOUR WORK PRESENTED AT A SPECIAL SHOWCASE EVENT AND AWARD CEREMONY IN LONDON. YOUR PHOTO STORY OR FILM TO BE ON-LINE AND SEEN BY A GLOBAL AUDIENCE. FREE LIDF FESTIVAL PASS
The LIDF is looking for the best young documentarians between the ages of 13-15 and 16 – 19. If you are thinking about a future in photography, documentary film, or digital media – or just really like taking pictures – we want to see what you can do.
The competition is open to photographers and filmmakers. All you have to do is send us a photographic or moving image PORTRAIT. This could be a portrait of a member of your family, a friend….. it could be a self-portrait, it could be a portrait of a place, a landscape, a shop, a pet, your favourite coat….. the possibilities are endless. It could be serious, or humorous, but above all it needs to create a narrative, to tell the story of a place, or a person, or an object, that is important to you.
WHAT’S IT ABOUT?
The LIDF (London International Documentary Festival) is the UK’s largest documentary festival. It has been chosen by directors such as Martin Scorsese, Steven Soderberg, and Asif Kapadia (the highly acclaimed director of ‘Senna’) for their international premiers. The festival has also worked with the world renowned Magnum Photo Agency to produce popular photography workshops.
With Hollywood’s elite choosing LIDF, as well as an impressive line-up of award-winning documentaries from emerging talent around the globe, the LIDF SCHOOLS COMPETITION is the place to get your work seen. If you are looking forward to a career and future training in film or photography ‘Winner’ of the LIDF SCHOOLS COMPETITION would look good on any CV!
Your work will be reviewed by industry professionals, and the winning entries will have the chance to be seen by a global audience.
The Grand Prize Winners
Decided by our panel of expert judges, two lucky film-makers, and two lucky photographer, will each walk away with £100/£300.
- The 11 winning films and 11 winning photo stories will be shown at a special showcase event and award ceremony at the LIDF2013
- Your film, or photo story, will get as much exposure as possible via our websites and social media (Twitter, Facebook and YouTube) – 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days a year, to audiences from across the world
- Free LIDF2013 Festival Pass
HOW TO ENTER
- To enter the competition you must first register by following the link below – registration deadline 30th June 2013. Once registered you receive a confirmation e-mail and details of how to submit your images or film. Then, you will have the whole summer to complete your film or photographic portrait. You will also be able to follow developments on Facebook, Twitter and join a new documentary community.
- Photographic portraits must be a sequence of related images (min 7 images, max 10)
- Your photo story must have a TITLE
- Photographic images can be in black and white or colour
- Film portraits must be between 3 and 5 minutes in duration (not including title and credit sequences)
- Can be shot in any format including on a mobile phone
- Must be in English or subtitled in English
- Only uses music that you have the rights to use
- All entries must be uploaded before the deadline (30th September 2013)
TO ENTER YOU’LL NEED TO:
- be aged between 13-15 or 16 and 19 at the time of submission
- registered at the lidf.co.uk before the registration deadline (30th June 2013)
- be the author of the work you are entering
- have the permission of your parents to enter you film or photographs
- pay the £5.00 Entry Fee
- you’ll also need to agree to LIDF’s terms and conditions
Please make sure you register for entry before the 30th June. Once that is done you will have all the summer holidays to complete your film or photography PORTRAIT.
IF YOU ARE A WINNER
- We will contact you by 12th October 2013
- Winners will be announced on the internet and across social media and other places where we think you might benefit from extra exposure, i.e. our partners’ websites, film blogs, etc
- The prizes and winning PORTRAITS will be screened and awarded prizes at the LIDF2013 awards ceremony in November
We look forward to seeing great submissions from you!
COMPETITION KEY DATES
- Deadline for registration 30th June 2013
- Deadline for submission of work 20th September 2013
- Winners announced: 12th October 2013
- Award Ceremony and Showcase Screening 17th November 2013